The Women’s Technology Empowerment Centre (W.TEC) is now accepting nominations for the 3rd edition of its W.TEC Girls Technology Camp.
The technology camp will take place in Lagos in August 2010 and is a W.TEC initiative aimed at helping girls develop an early interest in computers and other information technology, as well as enabling them develop positive images of technology-related careers. The long-term goal is increased numbers of women working with and using information technology productively for professional and leadership activities.
This is a 1-week residential program targeted at girls in JSS 2 to SS2, during which the young women will participate in technology workshops which include introduction to the computer, overview of computer hardware, learning to use some software; with games and activities intended to foster team and leadership qualities. Camp participants will also discuss social issues, especially those that affect young women. The camp will end with an exhibition of the girls’ work.
(View photographs from last year’s camp)
The fee for the camp is N50,000.00 for the successful candidates. This covers the registration fee, tuition, boarding and feeding costs.
A limited number of scholarships and discounts are available for girls whose applications are successful and whose parents or guardians are unable to afford the camp fees, so we highly encourage all qualified girls to apply.
The primary aims of this camp are to:
- Introduce Nigerian girls to computers and other ICTs, which they can use productively for school, work and leisure
- Encourage the young women to consider a technology career, by giving a realistic and positive idea of computing-related careers through career talks and career-themed films
- Help the young women plan their future careers with the assistance of mentors and women currently working in these fields
Criteria for Eligibility:
The programme is targeted at female students who are:
- Currently in JSS 2 to SSS 2 and no younger than 11 years of age
- Must have an excellent academic record
- Interested in learning about computers and other information technology
- Must be available in August 2010
- Must have the consent of either parent or guardian to stay in the camp with other girls for 1 week
To apply, nominate a girl who meets the above criteria to be invited for a pre-selection written test and oral interview.
Include the following information for the nominee:
- First and Last Names
- Contact Address
- Phone Number
- Email Address
Your nominations can be sent in one of the following ways:
- Hand Delivery to Our Office:
Suite 88, Block A-4
Sura Shopping Complex
Simpson Street, Lagos Island
- Online Application: Complete and submit the online application form.
- Email Application: Email the nominations to us at email@example.com.
For further information, contact Ms. Omokemi Akinbodunse at firstname.lastname@example.org, +234.819.115.0387, +234.802.328.7137 or +234.1.850.9782.